Friday, October 26, 2012

Am I depressed?

 

I think I have a mild depression problem, or I just think I have one?

Here are the classic symptoms according to WebMD and HelpGuide.org

  • sadness or depressed mood most of the day or almost every day
  • loss of enjoyment in things that were once pleasurable
  • major change in weight (gain or loss of more than 5% of weight within a month) or appetite 
  • insomnia or excessive sleep almost every day
  • physically restless or rundown that is noticeable by others
  • fatigue or loss of energy almost every day
  • feelings of hopelessness or worthlessness or excessive guilt almost every day
  • problems with concentration or making decisions almost every day
  • recurring thoughts of death or suicide, suicide plan, or suicide attempt

 

It says that when you have at least five of those you have the classic major depression illness. Let’s see my checklist.

  • Yes, I get depressed almost everyday especially when I’m home. I listen to music or read a book when I’m down.
  • I couldn’t think of any “loss of enjoyment” at the moment, but I don’t think this symptom applies to me.
  • Major change in weight? I have to check this with our measuring scale. But definitely loss in appetite. There are times when I don’t feel like eating.
  • I oversleep almost everyday. For the past months, I have been late for work and I have been trying to wake up early, but I just can’t. I can’t help it.
  • physically restless? Um, I don’t think so.. but I’m itching for a new job. I don’t think people will notice me either.
  • fatigue, yes I feel tired, but it’s normal because I go to work.
  • feelings of hopelessness or worthlessness, and guilt almost everyday, yes. Proof? Look at my plurk updates.
  • problems with concentration? yes. That is when you have social networks around you. I can make decisions. But I have very poor memory.
  • recurring thoughts of suicide… yes. The only thing stopping me is my faith in Christ.

I guess I only have the mild case of depression… *shrugs*

2 comments:

  1. Nobody knows better than myself how nasty depression can be, and how hard it is to conquer.
    Its symptoms include the following:MAJOR SYMPTOMS OF DEPRESSIONo Miserable frame of mind over a period of time, sometimes in a
    number of weekso Expresses grief in activities and
    life in general, and fails to feel satisfactiono Disheartened thinking - negative approach about oneself, the present and the futureo Difficulty in focusing and rememberingo Under the dilemma in making decisions - often even
    the more simple oneso Feelings of unimportance and desperationo Anxiety - a
    sense of being afraid - that something "dreadful" is going to
    happeno Phobias or doubts about specific situationso Loss of
    appetite and weight loss or, alternatively, increased appetite and
    weight gaino Disrupted sleeping patterns - not much sleep or wanting to sleep all
    the timeo Feeling weary and lacking in energy and inspirationo Loss of interest in sexo Physical symptoms - aches and pains, gastrointestinal upsets, headacheso Incapacity to do the usual everyday activitieso Thoughts
    of suicide - Various people do not try to find treatment in the early stage of
    depression as they started to observe such symptoms and thought that it will just pass away in a period of time, not noticing how severe the health problem can be.
    Robert moore is a health consultant and a guide for Signs and Symptoms of Depression.
    My web page - Clinical Depression

    ReplyDelete
  2. The majority of older adults with depression improve when they receive treatment with an antidepressant, psychotherapy, or
    a combination of both. In addition, cognitive behavioral therapy may be offered or group therapy.
    Diagnosis can be difficult and Manic depression is
    classed as a chronic relapsing illness so it best to work with
    an experienced Psychiatrist and continue treatmet even when you're feeling better..
    My page :: teen depression

    ReplyDelete