Tuesday, August 10, 2010

read between the lines

Do you know the term "read between the lines?" 

I've never seen a group up close that is so business minded. I can't blame them, Philippines is in a dreadful state, people will do anything just to survive this jungle.
I'm blogging about the Networking agencies here in the Philippines. The kind who uses words to attract their customer. anyway, here' s the scoop.

A college friend invited me to have an interview in their company. He told me that positions were available and were related to our line of study. I was of course interested because he noted that this job can be part-time. So I agreed and set up a date, which was earlier tonight at 7pm. Little did I know that this company is operating via networking. You might think that I am close minded when it come to these things, but you see, I have studied Advertising. I am trained to read between the lines, to decipher meanings behind words and presentations. Why am I in this tone? It is because I was duped. I feel like it, though I can;t present you with severe facts, I can present you with my speculations. 

The minute I stepped into the room, I had a feeling that this was going to be something unexpected, I thought I was in the middle of a go-see, but it turns out, I have entered the realm of networking. I must commend the people working there for their diligence in speaking, they were chattering endlessly! Most people would have walked out of the room before he/she wastes anymore time, but i am different and you can say, more curious than interested. We were ushered into a room with speakers coming in and out of the session hall. One speaker spoke of the products and services, one spoke of the worst case scenario and the other presented a testimony. All were aiming at one goal, to convince us to pay P9,888 to gain (as they say) more money than any of our salary can give us. I was , of course, a skeptic. P9888 is not something you can conjure in thin air. The third speaker I was really entertained with. He is a pioneer of the company. When he spoke I feel like I'm in a comedy bar. The guy knows how to entertain, a very good speaker, and a musician too. I have nothing against networking people, but the mere fact that some of them are lying just to get themselves more money irritates me.

My speculations were as follows;
- I was doubtful of my friends tone when he messaged me in Facebook, a thing which he did for the first time. But I must be honest in saying that I was pleased that this part time will be related to advertising (or that just what i thought)
- The tone of texting with my friend and his friend were the same, feels like only one person is texting me. I disregarded it 'cause I thought of professionalism.
- Most of us were young people. The curious thing about this speculation is when i asked about why most of us are young people, he didn't answer me directly. something that i don't like in discussions.
_ the one i'm speaking with does not maintain eye contact long enough for me to feel him trustworthy. 


These were a few of my speculations... what I'm disappointed with their line of thinking is this. Their thoughts are too materialistic and they even use God. I dunno about their faith but money and God do not mesh well together unless it's glorifying HIM. They talk about helping when in fact there is in it for them. in summary, i have seen tonight an effect of today's economy to the society which is selfishness.

In their view, I will be perceived as a close-minded individual who passed up a valuable opportunity held by them. But for me, I have escaped the clutches of materialism.

I will end with this verse. 

19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.
Matthew 6:19-21

No comments:

Post a Comment